Antioch Church of the Brethren first appears in the historic record in 1868, when a survey taken of land sold from the Haun family to the Rickard family indicates part of the property was set aside to be used by the Tunkard Church of the area which called either Antioch or the Dunkard Church at Calvary.
The Tunkards, or Dunkards as they are more commonly known, were a branch of the Brethren Church who believed in maintaining older customs, dress, and forms of worship. The opposed the use of musical instruments, Sunday Schools, and amusement. Instead they promoted plain dress, simple living, and church discipline. Antioch has remained connected to this tradition since its founding and is today an independent, Brethren church.
Sometime after this survey was completed, a meeting house was built in the primitive style so popular at the time. It featured separate entryways for men and women and little decoration. This original structure was replaced in 1883 by a larger, but no less primitive, church was built. Today this structure still stands and is used at the church’s fellowship hall.
This building was used by the church for almost fifty years until it was abandoned in 1921 due to a lack of interest. However, in 1931 interest was revived and the church was repaired and rededicated. After this the congregation expanded, and additions were built in the 1950s to house a new Sunday School and growing social functions. These projects eliminated the separated entrances and segregation of the sexes.