The Powhatan Lime Company of Strasburg Virginia dates to 1902. It was founded to quarry some of the area’s plentiful New Market limestone and to convert it into lime for use in construction agriculture, and numerous other industries. Powhatan…

In 1959 the Shenandoah County School Board constructed a new high school named after a Confederate General Stonewall Jackson. This school was one of three high schools in Shenandoah County built at that time. The new school building housed…

On October 22, 1869 the Shenandoah Herald newspaper noted Samuel Bowman was “laying in a large supply of goods” and would soon open his new store on the “main street of Hamburg.” This building included the store originally included the store…

St. James Lutheran Church in Zepp dates to around 1822 when W.G. Keil, a ministerial student, began conducting services in local homes. By September of 1822 he had established a church with 30 confirmed members. The first church building was…

The Thomas Hudson House was constructed ca. 1790. It is located north east of the small community of Hudsons Crossroads. This house is one of the best surviving examples of Germanic stone construction in Shenandoah County. It was built atop a…

This brick building was built by Solomon Henkel in 1802. It served as his home and place for him to practice his trade as a physician and druggist. A small brick structure behind the home, also built in 1802, was used by Solomon to prepare his…

Situated on the southwest corner of Congress Street and Lee Street, the Elon Henkel House, or Henkel Press Building is a familiar landmark in New Market. While the house is most notably known for being owned by Elon Henkel, his grandfather,…

Located next to the Deary Tavern, this two-story building was built in 1855. It is constructed with wooden weatherboarding on the outside, a heavy embossed metal on the inside, and a layer of brick in between. The building was first owned by Henry…

Chapin and Sachs, sometimes known as Chapin and Sacks, Manufacturing opened a plant in Woodstock Virginia in 1910 following the purchase of the A.W. Nicodemus & Sons Creamery building on what is now East Court Street which had opened in 1903. At…

During both WWI and WWII, country residents sought ways to memorialize their family members, friends, and neighbors who were serving in the armed forces. One of the most popular ways they found was by erecting an honor board. These wooden signs…