On October 22, 1869 the Shenandoah Herald newspaper noted Samuel Bowman was “laying in a large supply of goods” and would soon open his new store on the “main street of Hamburg.”
This building included the store originally included the store facilities on the lower level and a large meeting room with kitchen on the second floor. This upstairs space was used by both local chapters of the Modern Woodmen and the Grange.
The 1885 Lake’s Atlas notes this building was both a store and the site of the Hamburg Post Office. Samuel Bowman is listed as living next door.
In 1896 Samuel Bowman moved to Woodstock Virginia and opened a store in that town. The Hamburg store remained opened. Its last operator was John Eckard who operated the store until sometime in the mid-20th century.
The store building still stands and is privately owned.