Lloyd's Department Store
This undated postcard shows Lloyd’s Department Store on King Street in Strasburg Virginia. The store was located beside what was the Massanutten National Bank, until recently the Strasburg Chamber of Commerce, near the intersection with Holliday Street.
The building was first constructed around 1893 to house a store operated by Edward Zea which opened across the street in 1867. At some point, Zea was joined in business by R.S. Wright and the store became known as “Zea and Wright Department Store,” Their advertising claimed it was the town’s largest department store.
Edward Zea died in 1903. Sometime between then and the creation of this photograph, the store was purchased by Lloyd and Bertha “Doll” Rosson who also operated a 5 & 10 cent store in Strasburg. Most likely this transfer occurred in the 1930s. They would have sold a wide variety of retail products including shoes, clothing, furniture, etc.
The couple would operate the store through at least 1950. Today the building is part of the First Bank complex.