In 1959 the Shenandoah County School Board constructed a new high school named after a Confederate General Stonewall Jackson. This school was one of three high schools in Shenandoah County built at that time. The new school building housed…

In the winter of 1903, a two-story, slate building was completed to house the students of New Market High School. At last, an institution established in 1870 by Professor E.A. Luster was receiving its own building dedicated to graded and high school…

The first school in what is now Conicville opened in 1873. It was a one room school that stood in the middle of the community which was then called Cabin Hill. It was replaced by a two room school within 10 years. That structure was located on…

The first school in St. Luke was already in existence when it, and a parcel of land, was deeded to a group of school trustees in 1841 who promised to use the structure as a Union Church and School. This building was located on what is now the…

In 1934 a serious fire destroyed a large portion of the Columbia Furnace School building. The Shenandoah County School Board made the decision to replace the damaged structure with an entirely new building. This school house was built using…

In 1874 Edinburg’s citizens began a lottery to fund the construction of a school in town. These efforts proved to be successful, and in 1876 what became known as the Edinburg Graded and High School, or the Cedar Hill Academy, was opened. The…

In June 1880 Levi Gochenour deeded a one-acre lot to Shenandoah County Public Schools for the purpose of building a schoolhouse for the families of the surrounding community. It is believed he provided this particular lot, located a half a mile from…

In 1877 the Shenandoah County School Board purchased a one-half acre lot to build a new school in Mt. Jackson. This would be the first county operated, public school in the town. The new structure would be finished the following year. It was part of…

Massanutten Academy began in September of 1899 when the Virginia Classis of the Reformed Church opened the school in the residence of former US Senator H.H. Riddleberger which had been enlarged to serve as classrooms and the boy’s dormitory. The…