Mt. Jackson High and Graded School
In 1877 the Shenandoah County School Board purchased a one-half acre lot to build a new school in Mt. Jackson. This would be the first county operated, public school in the town. The new structure would be finished the following year. It was part of a building plan that saw the construction of new schools in Edinburg, Mt. Jackson, and New Market that were all of the same design.
The Mt. Jackson Graded and High School, as it was called, housed grades 1-12. Students in Grade School were provided a free education. However, once an individual reached grade 8 they became a High School student and could only continue at the school if they paid tuition. Since High Schools were only operated in towns and larger communities, pupils in more rural areas would also have to provide their own transportation.
This school closed in 1920 when the new Mt. Jackson High School was completed on the south end of town and the old was sold to the Rinker Brothers who opened a filling station at the site. Later it became Verhencamp's, a local tractor and machinery dealership. Today it houses Imboden Environmental Services.