In 1959 the Shenandoah County School Board constructed a new high school named after a Confederate General Stonewall Jackson. This school was one of three high schools in Shenandoah County built at that time.
“Stonewall Jackson High School” was formally dedicated on April 24, 1960 having been open to students for the 1959-1960 academic year. The first principal was Thomas L. Snyder and enrollment for the first year, Grades 8-12, was 501.
The new school building housed students from Mount Jackson and New Market. They were needed to accommodate a growing student population. Through the years of 1960 to 1961, Shenandoah County Public Schools increased their total enrollment from 4,731 students to 4,908. Teaching positions had also increased from 189 to 220. Since then, the number of students continued to steadily increase.
To meet this need the school structure was expanded from its original 13 classrooms in 1964 when four classrooms were added and in 1993 when six classrooms were added as part of a new science wing. A more extensive renovation was completed in 2004 when a new gymnasium, weight room, PE offices, guidance office, library media center, and more were added.
Major academic strides had been taken to advance academic opportunities for the students. Lord Fairfax Community College (now Laurel Ridge Community College), opened in 1970, worked with Stonewall Jackson to offer on-sight dual enrollment classes for students looking for a foot-hold in college level class work. In 1990, dual enrollment classes were officially offered to students at Stonewall Jackson. Dual enrollment classes are still offered today, and, as of 2019, the school has the largest amount of dual enrollment class opportunities than any other school in Shenandoah County Public School system.
The students at Stonewall Jackson were very dedicated to their academics, but students also set aside time to take part in extracurricular activities such as school sports and clubs. Sports include, but are not limited to, Football, Cross Country, Track & Field, and Volleyball. In 1981, the women’s Track and Field team won the State Track & Field meet. In 1989, both the women’s and men’s Cross Country team won the State Championship title.
Clubs that were offered at the school in 1965 and are no longer available to students, including the Library club and Safety Patrol club. The Future Farmers of America (FFA) is a club that many at Stonewall Jackson have, and continue to be, involved with. One community event they do is for the Elementary School (Ashby Lee Elementary School), and that is Apples & Milk Day where students learn about Stonewall Jackson FFA, as well as where their food comes from. Clubs were a big part of helping students develop relationships in the school, as well as outside in the community.
On July 9, 2020 the Shenandoah County School Board approved a name change for the school from Stonewall Jackson High School following a resolution condemning racism and affirming a commitment to an inclusive school environment. This led to critical and affirming protests by many community members.
In January 2021 the School Board approved “Mountain View High School” as the new name for the school and retained the “Generals” mascot following the recommendation of a committee of students, teachers, and community members. The name became official during the 2021-2022 school year.
As of 2023 the school housed 625 students in grades 9-12. It offers an Art Guild, Future Farmers of America, Home Economics, Interact, National Honor Society, Student Council Association, World Languages, Recycling, Knitting, Debate, and Board Game Club. Sports include Football, Cross Country, Baseball, Soccer, Cheerleading, Volleyball, Tennis, Golf, and Basketball.