Welchs Tavern

A well-known tavern and stage shop was built on this site sometime before 1835. Originally it was known as Welch's Tavern. It served travelers passing through Woodstock on what became the Valley Turnpike.

During the antebellum period, it changed hands several times and was known variously as Fravel and later Reamer’s Tavern. Both Andrew Jackson and Millard Filmore were reported to have stayed here.

Between 1892 and 1909, the building was owned by the Shockey family and from thereafter the area became known as Shockey Flatts. In the 1920s, it added gas pumps to accommodate the new automobiles traveling on Route 11. It was torn down in 1935 by Burgess Nelson to make room for a gas station.