St. James Lutheran Church

St. James Lutheran Church can trace its history to 1842, when Lutheran, Reformed, and Methodist worshipers in the area met at a log church at Hudson’s Crossroads. Over the next four decades each of these congregations were able to acquire their own church building. In 1884 the Lutherans, who had taken possession of the original church demolished it and built a new building which is still in use.

The Church played a major part in the community from the time it was founded. Its Men’s Group, Women’s Group, and Youth Group were the major sponsors of local events and socials. Dinners and homecomings were major events that drew hundreds of people from around the area.
Today, the Lutheran Church continues to support the community by maintaining the former St. John’s UCC building and the former school building.