In 1916 the congregation of St. John's Methodsit Church in Edinburg tore down their church building and replaced it with this structure. An annex was added in 1960.
The congregation had been formed in 1856 when the Reverend J. Eakin began holding services. They originally met in the town's Union Church but in 1869 they built their own structure. It had ten charter members, all women.
Today St. John's United Methodist Church, as it is known, still plays a major role in the Edinburg community.