Starting in the 1920s, clothing and textile manufacturing became prominent industries in the Shenandoah Valley. One group that operated in the area was the Casey Jones Work-Clothes Company. They opened plants in Woodstock, Mt. Jackson, Shenandoah, Luray, and Elkton which produced denim overalls and provided steady employment to hundreds of locals, including women who had previously been excluded from many industrial jobs.
During WWII, their operations expanded and the Woodstock plant on E. Court St. became a major producer of dungarees for the Navy. Business was so good weekly payroll often exceeded $5,000, or approximately $90,000 in today’s currency.
In September 1943, that plant was awarded the Army-Navy “E” Award of Excellence presented to companies who achieved “Excellence in Production” of war equipment. Only 5% of the more than 85,000 companies involved in producing materials for the US military’s war effort earned that honor.
Not long after they received this award, Casey Jones was purchased by Blue Bell Inc., who later introduced Wrangler Jeans. They continued to operate the plant on E. Court St. until 1956 when a new factory opened on the south end of town. Over the next several decades this building would be a realty office and retail shop. In the 1980s and 1990s it was home to a radio station and Channel 10 TV which covered Woodstock area news.
Today it is home to the Woodstock Brew House. They produce a wide array of local brews and maintain a series of 12 beers on tap at all times. In addition they serve food on weekends and utilize locally grown products when possible.