This structure was built around 1755 and was the home of the Hupp family who were some of the earliest European immigrants into the Shenandoah Valley. It was built to provide protection from possible Native American incursions and other hostile raiders. A spring in the basement provided a readily available water source. It has been owned by the Hupps since that early period.
Like many families of that era, the Hupps operated a distillery on their property. The purposely built distillery building still stands on adjacent property. It was built around the same time as the "Frontier Fort" and would have provided alcohol for the tavern operated at that site and for sale on national markets.