In 1898, an Edinburg City Directory noted the Eureka House stood on this site. It was the town’s only hotel and was primarily designed to serve travelers on the adjacent rail line. J.F. Holtzman owned the structured and leased it to W.F. Whitman and his wife.
This structure was well known for its accommodations and its bar. It burned in 1902 and the only two things that were saved were the piano and the bar glasses, many of which are preserved at the Edinburg Mill.
After the fire, Holtzman built a new larger brick hotel on this site. It was known at different times as the Hotel Edinburg, Hotel Bruce, and the Edinburg Inn. The description provided during construction mentioned the structure had 22 rooms, each of which connected to a “long cool porch.”
The social scene that had centered around the Eureka House continued in the new building, which also had a new larger bar and a ballroom that attracted many.
Advertisements for drinks (like “The Belle of Loudoun Whiskey”) and for events (including balls and socials) appeared regularly. In addition, the Edinburg Anti-Saloon League held their meetings and programs at the site. What their relationship was with adjacent bar patrons is unknown.
In 1904, Edinburg and Shenandoah County became a dry community and the bar at the Hotel Edinburg closed. The hotel continued to operate for several decades but closed sometime after 1930. Today, it is home to the Edinburg VFW who once again serve alcohol via their social lounger’s bar.