Just before the Civil War, a group of Mt. Jackson residents built this structure to house a local hotel. While the war interfered with their plans at first, an 1871 map does indicate that the building housed a hotel and post office. At that time, it was owned by Joseph Moore.
By the 1920s, Moore’s daughter was living in the structure and had converted the second floor into a private residence. The first floor was occupied by commercial space. Several resturants, operated by the Hepners, Hansbergers, and Alexanders were located here. In 1936 the Mary Lee Beauty Parlor also operated inside.
Like most other town buildings, its porch was removed when Route 11was widened in 1934. In 1944 the Coffman family acquired the property and converted it into apartments which it remains today.