This two story, brick structure, is one of numerous early 19th century Federal style buildings in the town of Mt. Jackson.
The house was built around 1830 by Alexander Pollock, one of the individuals who helped sponsor Mt. Jackson’s town charter in 1826. He sold the house to Dirk Pennybacker in 1835. His family was in the midst of organizing a woolen mill and bought numerous hoses on Main Street. However we are unsure what the connection was between these properties and the business, or what this building was used for.
In 1851 Dr. Samuel Coffman, a local dentist, bought the house. He opened his office on the first floor and lived with his family on the second. Coffman was a delegate at the Virginia secession convention in 1861 and voted to leave the Union in April of that year. After that he served in the House of Delegates and helped lead Virginia during its time as a Confederate State.
Samuel Coffman’s niece, Margaret Samuels, and her husband bought the house in the mid-1860s and lived through the beginning of the 19th century. She was a major supporter of the Confederate hospital during the Civil War and Confederate memorization afterwards.
In 1919 the house was purchased by the Hackley family who were local merchants. A new Dentist, Dr. Buel Combs bought the house in the 1980s. He lived and worked in the structure until the 21st century.