Carroll Robinson Building
This structure was constructed in the 1920s to house Mt. Jackson’s growing number of commercial establishments. Originally it was known as the Carroll Building. It is a two story, wood frame establishment, with business space on the first floor and apartments on the second.
In 1925 the structure was purchased by Earl Robinson, a local businessman who had been selling poultry and eggs to the forerunner of Bryce Resort. Inside he opened the Robinson Produce Company and sold a variety of items to locals and visitors alike. He was also involved in numerous community organizations, helped finance the Casey Jones Shirt Factory in Mt. Jackson, and was an organizer of the Mt. Jackson Fire Company. His business closed sometime in the early 1950s. He died in 1969.
The Carroll Building has had several other uses. Mt. Jackson’s first theatre operated here. At other times it was home to Estep Brothers Grocery Store, Kelley-Stauff Insurance Agency, Mt. Jackson Meat Market, and C.K. Lambert Interior Designs. In the 1970s the northern portion was demolished when the First Virginia Bank built a new facility next door and needed space for their drive-through.