The original immigrants to this area arrived in the mid-18th century. Early immigrants to the area included the Neff and Baughman families. Originally the community was called Georgetown and land speculators may have considered founding an incorporated town here in the early 1800s.
In 1857 Thomas Hudson arrived in the area and eventually the crossroads would bear his name though Georgetown and the name Crossroads would continue to be used at various times during the 20th century.
By the time of the Civil War St. James Lutheran Church, the German Reformed Church that later became St. Johns United Church of Christ, and several commercial establishments were operating here. Their prosperity was based on the agricultural surplus of the area and the farmers need for supplies. In addition a number of travelers passed through the area on what is now Route 42, originally the “Back” Road on their way to Orkney Springs and other communities. This road provided easy access to major markets along the Valley Turnpike in addition to serving as a thoroughfare.
In the 1870s Public School No. 13 was constructed to provide educational opportunities for local children. Commercial establishments began to expand in the early 20th century. Oral history and physical evidence indicates there was a mill, garage, two stores, two churches, and a school operating here in the 1920s. Today, only the churches and residential remain as many of the locals have left for more populated areas.