Around 1805 the Pennybacker family built this home in Mt. Jackson. Drawing upon their great wealth gained through the operation of several local iron furnaces, the
Pennbackers were able to construct on of the most opulent structures in town. In the 1840s they added an opulent Greek Revival addition to the original Federal style structure.
During the 1930s and 1940s Dr. L.C. Haynes operated a Doctor’s office on the first floor of the building. Later it housed four apartments but was remodeled and returned to a single family dwelling in 1972. Today it is a private residence.