In the early part of the 20th century, Mr. S. Lonas of Mt. Jackson constructed this building to house his mercantile business. Like many merchants at the time, Lonas dealt in most any time of merchandise customers wanted. His inventory included everything from clothes to toys to kerosene.
During the 1930s a State sponsored project widened and raised Route 11 and the front steps that had once graced the front of the structure, and which had provided access to the store, were removed. In 1946 a Carrata glass front was added. This change reflects the popular art deco style of the period.
Several different businesses operated at this site after Lonas. Two of those that are well remembered in the town are Walters
Restaurant and O’Flagerty’s Furniture store which were based here in the 1950s and 1960s. These were replaced by larger scale, chain commercial businesses in other parts of the town and county. Today, the building houses a thrift store and apartments.