The first burial at Cedarwood Cemetery was recorded in 1870 but it was not until July 4, 1876 that the site was dedicated. It was the third cemetery to serve the town of Edinburg.
At the dedication ceremony, over 5000 people gathered to hear US Senator H.H. Riddleberger give an address.
The Statue of Hope, designed to be “soul encouraging” was added to the cemetery in 1878. Several locals left mementos in the base of the statue when it was dedicated.
On May 15, 1903 the Virginia General Assembly passed an act that allowed the town to purchase the cemetery from the corporation that had previously controlled it. Since then the town, and a core of dedicated locals, has maintained Cedarwood.