On April 14 1880 the Shenandoah Herald reported W.H. Baker was was granted a license to keep an ordinary and retail liquor store in New Market Virginia. In the 1885's Lake Atlas of Shenandoah and Page Counties this business is listed as the Valley…

On April 13, 1894 JM and WM Thomas of New Market gave notice they were applying for a license to operate a bar room and to sell retail liquor in New Market Virginia.

On April 14, 188- the Shenandoah Herald reported S.M. Holtzman had been granted a license to keep an rodinary and retail liquor store in New Market Virginia. While the exact location of this business is unknown, it may be related to the Central Hotel…

Deary’s Tavern opened on this site in 1806. Lewis Summers, an early traveler through the area, noted it was a “very good house” after staying there in 1808. It was demolished around 1876 to make way for the Central Hotel. The names of the Deary’s…

Around 1876, the Central Hotel was built on this site, replacing Deary’s Tavern, which had operated here since 1806. On October 8, 1879, an advertisement for the hotel noted “the Bar [is] supplied with choise liquors” and lists Sarah Holtzman as the…

In the late 1940s a Gulf Station opened in New Market at the intersection of Routes 11 and 211, two of the region's major highways. Before the introduction of the Interstate Highway System, this area would have been filled with cars travelling to…

Established in 1955, Southern Kitchen is probably New Markets most iconic restaurants. The restaurant prides itself on serving delicious meals, ranging from fried chicken to peanut soup, with 1950s flair. Southern Kitchen has an upstairs dining…

The Shenvalee began in 1926 when Roland F. Hill came to New Market and purchased what was then called the “Dr. Strayer Farm.” Hill would use the land to create a resort hotel and golf course. Local newspaper publisher John G. Miller would eventually…

As part of his 1864 campaign, Union General Ulysses S. Grant ordered Federal forces under General Franz Sigel to march through the Shenandoah Valley and destroy the railroad and Confederate Army’s base of supplies. This 9,000 man force began to…

The Smith Creek Baptist Church was formed on August 6, 1756. The area that is now known as New Market was called Crossroads because it was at the intersection of the area’s major north-south and east-west roads. A community had emerged around this…