Woodstock Fire Department
Founded in 1823 after a disastrous fire, the Woodstock Fire Department is an all-volunteer organization that serves the residents of Woodstock and Shenandoah County.
From approximately 1883 until today the fire department has been located on Court Street in Woodstock. Initially a frame structure housed the department’s hand pumper and hose reels. During that period the organization was known as the Shenandoah Fire Company.
In 1931 the department built a new brick building and changed its name to the Woodstock Fire Department. It also purchased two pieces of motorized apparatus, the first in 1929 and the second in 1931. These allowed it to respond to incidents outside the town limits for the first time.
Today the department continues to serve the community from an enlarged building that houses six pieces of emergency apparatus, office space, and community meeting rooms.