Members of the Christian Church, also called the Disciples of Christ, have worshiped in Woodstock since the mid-19th century. Though few records exist, we do know they held their first meetings in the Courthouse alongside the Episcopalians and several other denominations. Most likely the Woodstock group originated at Walnut Springs, west of Strasburg, where a Christian Church was established in 1820 and is still in existence.
By the end of the 19th century there were enough members of the denomination to build their own church. A revival had swept through the county and many members were added to this church, and other local congregation’s rosters.
This original building was constructed along the railroad track on West High Street. It was designed in what is known as “Neoclassical Style” which is defined by the church’s large square bell tower and resemblance to classical Greek temples. Several churches in the area were designed in the same style immediately after the Civil War.
Records indicate the church had 62 members at that time, two of which were African American women. That same year the church’s Sunday School was established with a total of 43 members. The congregation would continue to grow despite controversies in the larger church body over the use of musical instruments and missionary activity.
The church moved to a new site on Muhlenberg Street in 1931. After which this original building was sold. It is now an apartment building.