Despite the attention given to passenger service and its depots, the main railroad business in Woodstock and Shenandoah County was freight. The region exported hundreds of carloads of agricultural products each year while importing heavy machinery, finished goods, building supplies, fuel, and much more. Well into the 1960s trains were still supplied the majority of local businesses, including automobile dealerships whose new vehicles arrived via the railroad.
Woodstock’s freight depot was constructed on the south side of Court Street sometime in the 1880s. It included a large stock pen to load cattle onto outgoing trains. Eventually the entire area between the Triplett Mill and the track, now open space, was filled with railroad facilities.
Siding capacity expanded dramatically during the 20th century until it peaked at 175 cars from 1928-1942. The freight depot was also home to the telegraph office which established the Woodstock symbol as WD.
Starting in the 1950s the rail service in the area began to decline as trucks began to supplant the train. Sometime before 1969 regular service ended. Interstate 81 had opened and all but the heaviest loads could be transported via that route faster and cheaper. The final depot manager retired from Woodstock in 1973 and the depot was demolished soon after that.