This tavern opened in Woodstock sometime during the early 19th century. It served many travelers along the Valley Turnpike. Locals observed this was one of the rougher taverns in town and "many a brawl" occurred here.
It was open through the Civil War when A.P. Hill of the Confederate Army ordered the whiskey served here to be destroyed in 1862 after several of his men were found drunk on duty.
The tavern closed sometime in the later half of the 19th century and by the 1930s was a derelict structure. It was demolished in 1940 when the Community Theater was built on the site.