On August 30, 1783, John Crookshanks was granted a license to keep a tavern in his home in the Town of Woodstock. The exact location of that tavern and when it operated is unknown.

A well-known tavern and stage shop was built on this site sometime before 1835. Originally it was known as Welch's Tavern. It served travelers passing through Woodstock on what became the Valley Turnpike. During the antebellum period, it changed…

John Evans of Edinburg, Virginia, was issued a license to operate a a tavern in 1795. The location and exact dates when this tavern were operated is unknown.

Deary’s Tavern opened on this site in 1806. Lewis Summers, an early traveler through the area, noted it was a “very good house” after staying there in 1808. It was demolished around 1876 to make way for the Central Hotel. The names of the Deary’s…

Sometime around 1825, David Crabill built this tavern south of present-day Maurertown, Virginia, to serve travelers on what would become the Valley Turnpike. Crabill would have provided them food, a hot bed, and spirits of their choosing. The…