On April 14, 1880, the Shenandoah Herald reported Israel Halterman had been granted a license to keep an ordinary and retail liquor store in Mt. Clifton, Virginia. The exact location of this site and when it operated is unknown.

On August 19, 1924, the Woodstock Times and Edinburg Sentinel Combined reported Harrison Narcross was arrested for having a still and illegal alcohol. Law enforcement officers found the still, cap, and worm along with five pints of moonshine at his…

Mt. Clifton most likely got its name from its imposing position overlooking Mill Creek. It was founded sometime in the middle of the 19th century by George Hammon and his sons. They built and operated a store, flour mill, saw mill, and blacksmith…