On April 14, 1880, the Shenandoah Herald reported Joseph F. Holtzman of Edinburg had been issued a license to be a wholesale liquor dealer. In the 1885 Lake's Atlas of Shenandoah County he advertised himself as a liquor dealer. When the business…

In 1898, an Edinburg City Directory noted the Eureka House stood on this site. It was the town’s only hotel and was primarily designed to serve travelers on the adjacent rail line. J.F. Holtzman owned the structured and leased it to W.F. Whitman and…

John Evans of Edinburg, Virginia, was issued a license to operate a a tavern in 1795. The location and exact dates when this tavern were operated is unknown.

According to a History of Edinburg, Virginia, a distillery was operated in town. The location and dates of operation are unknown.

In 1891 E.F. Johnson of Edinburg was granted a license to sell, but not to consume, up to five gallons of spirits at his home.

In 1977 the Johns Manville Corporation opened a new manufacturing plant between Edinburg and Woodstock. It was listed as being just over 330,000 square feet and contained three rail spurs, an emergency power supply, and its own water and sewer…

In 1944 the Holler family of Edinburg Virginia founded a small poultry processing plant along Stoney Creek west of Edinburg. Over time this operation grew to become Blue Ridge Poultry and Egg Company, a regional poultry processor. In 1971 Rocco…

In 1927 Snoop’s Snake Farm opened two miles south of Edinburg in the small community of Bowman’s Crossing. Though we know little about the site, early advertisements indicated the site featured four types of poisonous snakes and several alligators.…

Fire has always been a threat to any town in America. Edinburg is not immune. This photograph shows the downtown area after it had been ravaged by a destructive fire in December of 1895. The configuration destroyed six homes, the Edinburg Sentinel…

In 1874 Edinburg’s citizens began a lottery to fund the construction of a school in town. These efforts proved to be successful, and in 1876 what became known as the Edinburg Graded and High School, or the Cedar Hill Academy, was opened. The…